Facebook is the largest social networking site with nearly a billion members, that lets you to make connections, share interests, and join groups. There are now many Facebook applications that allow it be used productively in education and business.
Maintains its 9th position in the list.
Comments from some of those who selected it as one of their Top Tools
a useful social media for filtered learning and teaching. Brij Bhushan Huria, 2013
for informal discussion groups with students. Jayne Shistance 2013
Everyone’s here. Everyone. Tim Childers 2013
informal contact and learning Paul Jacobs 2013
- “I use it almost daily online and via my iPhone to learn what my nearly 300 contacts –family, friends, and business contacts – are up to. I learn about and from other people by following links they post that they find interesting; by seeing how they feel about news stories; etc” Gabe Anderson
- “provides easy communication with students and colleagues, and private communication in groups” Pat Parslow
- “I have been using Facebook as my primary social networking tool.” Janet Clarey
- “A very interactive social network with open API for integrating with social software developed by others” Jose Carlos del Arco
- “When training people around the globe, building social connections between learners is critical. Facebook helps learners put a face with a name and learn personal fact about other learners … a fantastic way to find other people who are interested in what you want to learn. Great places to share ideas.” Janice Petosky
- “Still, by far, the undisputed number one. Last year I wrote: “I’ve posted about my love of Facebook before. But look, we teach these technology integration classes and we tell our students to find out what their students have and work from there. Well, where are my college undergrads? Facebook. Since I’ve started requiring my undergrads to add me as a friend, I’ve had more communication with my undergrads. It’s been crazy, actually. Students who NEVER would have gotten a hold of me before, are now writing on my wall just to say, ‘Hey Dr. Curry! What’s up?’ I love it.” John Curry
- “social networking with my students, the secret killer app for education” Terry Elliott